Friday, June 9, 2017

Day 82: DS9, Paradise Lost




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S4EP11, “Paradise Lost”

 Summary: Following an Earth-wide power failure orchestrated by the changelings, Starfleet has been allowed to put officers on the streets for the protection of the citizens. As Sisko and Odo investigate to figure out how the changelings could have done this, they uncover some disturbing evidence. Red Squad, the elite group of cadets at Starfleet Academy, was beamed out of a secure location shortly before the power failure. Digging deeper, Sisko uncovers a plot by Admiral Leyton to make the President of Earth (and the Federation) step down so Starfleet can take over for as long as there’s a changeling threat. While it’s obvious which side Sisko is on, the bigger question is how to handle the problem. And he’s only got a few days to figure out the answer to that question.


Standalone Thoughts: As I said yesterday, DS9 two-parters are generally stronger in their second halves, and this one continues that trend. It’s not on par with “The Die is Cast” or the one-two punch of “The Circle” and “The Siege”, but it’s still pretty solid. There’s not a lot of difference between the content of this episode and “Homefront”—there’s only one action scene and the rest of the plot still consists of people talking about security measures—but it’s got a very different feel. Instead of paranoia and nerves, it’s a fast-paced mystery thriller, with Sisko trying to figure things out and prevent disaster. There’s a nice mix of successes and failures in the investigation, there are a few slower moments to keep things from getting too messy, and overall it’s just really well-handled. Plus, it’s not as in your face about the loss of civil liberties, so anyone worried about this turning preachy shouldn’t have a problem with it. And while Joseph Sisko doesn’t quite fill the role of “the common man” as I predicted yesterday, he’s still the voice of reason and helps slow the episode down when necessary, so that aspect works as well.

About the only thing that leaves me scratching my head is an encounter Sisko has with a changeling. Why did the changeling come to him? He (he takes the form of O’Brien, so I’ll call him a he) doesn’t appear to be defecting, so why approach Sisko and tell him things like how many changelings are on Earth? What, were they just doing it to gloat? All you did was make Sisko even more determined to figure out what was going on with Starfleet. The DS9 Companion mentioned yesterday that the changeling’s rigid ways were a flaw, so this might be another case of “arrogance leads to overconfidence”, but in the context of this episode, it just feels out of place, especially since there’s no followup to it.

Despite that, this is a pretty good episode. It’s not quite enough to be best of the season, but it’s more along the lines of what I remember DS9 being. I don’t think we’re quite at the “golden age” just yet, but we’re getting very, very close. And it’s certainly good enough to be worth watching.

How it Relates to the Whole: While there will probably be repercussions from this episode, I cannot remember what they are at this point in time. All I know for certain (thanks to Memory Alpha when I was checking the difference between Red Squad and Nova Squadron yesterday) is that some of the members of Red Squad will make another appearance later down the line. Besides that, I’m as in the dark as you are.

Other: *I know what they’re going for in this shot, but it kind of gives off a different impression;



It’s like Odo’s really ineffectually hiding from someone. Plus, no wonder people joke about Starfleet Security if the guy on the other end of this conversation just takes Sisko at his word that there’s no one else in the room. Maybe the Federation is getting slightly complacent.

*In an example of the passage of time leading to unintentional double takes in older media, one of the people involved in the conspiracy is named “Snowden”. I admit I don’t know much about Edward Snowden, but it did get me to raise an eyebrow before I remembered that this was made in 1996. Life can be funny that way, can’t it?

Best Line/Exchange: This one’s a bit long, but that’s because there’s a lot of good material in there;

Nog: What can I do for you, sir?
Sisko: It’s about Red Squad.
Nog: Red Squad? Did you get me in?
Sisko: Not just yet.
Nog: Oh, too bad. Those guys are the best. They’re the only people I know who aren’t afraid of the Dominion.
Sisko (looks up at him): Why’s that?
Nog (thinks for a moment): I don’t know. They’re not scared of anything, I guess.
Sisko: You seem to know them pretty well.
Nog: Jake told me I should try to get to know them better, show them that I’m a good guy. And so far it seems to be working. (chuckles, then immediately continues in the same tone) The truth is, I think they only like me because I know you.
Sisko: Is that so?
Nog: You’re kind of their hero. The man at the front line in the war with the Dominion.
Sisko (pauses): I’d like to meet some of these cadets. Do you think you could introduce me to one of them?
Nog (immediately gets serious): I’m sorry, I can’t do that, sir. The names of Red Squad members are supposed to be secret.
Sisko: But you know who they are.
Nog (scoffs): It’s not easy keeping secrets from a Ferengi. But I feel funny telling anyone else. Besides, if they found out I told you who they were, I’d never get in.
Sisko: Cadet, you are obviously under the mistaken impression that I am asking a favor. (his voice gradually grows louder and angrier) I want a name, and I want it now, and that is an order. Understood, Mr. Nog?
Nog: Yes, sir.

I really like this exchange. We get to see Sisko turn on a dime from friendly and personable to deadly serious, and Nog’s really matured as a character. He’s not happy that he hasn’t been suggested for Red Squad yet, but he’s not throwing a fit about it, and he’s very aware that the reason Red Squad seems to like him is because of his connections, but again, doesn’t seem bitter about it. Like I said, Nog has the biggest character arc in the show, and just from this scene, you can see how far he’s come. And he’s just going to get even more interesting as we go on.


No comments:

Post a Comment