Monday, June 19, 2017

Day 92: DS9, For the Cause




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S4EP21, “For the Cause”

 Summary: As the Federation prepares to send some high-tech replicators to the Cardassians to help them rebuild, there are concerns that the Maquis might try to claim the replicators for themselves. Complicating matters is the fact that Odo and Commander Eddington suspect that Kasidy Yates may be smuggling supplies to the Maquis, which naturally is a major blow to Sisko. He doesn’t want to believe it, but that doesn’t stop him from allowing some investigations, while making a few of his own. At the same time, the two resident Cardassians, Garak and Zyial (now played by Tracy Middendorf), start tentatively reaching out to each other, despite the warnings of others and Garak’s own reservations. Given everything going on, he’s probably not entirely wrong to be suspicious.


Standalone Thoughts: This is another one of those episodes that has good content, but I wind up feeling indifferent to. I appreciate the way the story develops some of the side characters and that the plot doesn’t end in the way you’d expect, but somehow the execution feels lacking. It’s probably because the episode lacks tension, for the most part; even with the threat of espionage and betrayal, things are dealt with almost matter-of-factly. Even Sisko’s concerns about Kasidy working for the Maquis feel somewhat underplayed, and while that might be a deliberate choice because Sisko’s trying not to let his feelings show, it doesn’t always make for compelling viewing. In fact, none of the actors are overly energetic, which suggests this might have been a directorial choice. No matter what the cause, though, it doesn’t change the fact that it hampers the episode.

There’s also the matter of plots coming out of nowhere. Since we haven’t seen Kasidy since she was first considering taking the job on Bajor back in “Indiscretion”, bringing her back and then immediately accusing her of being Maquis feels like they’re rushing things. I don’t know if they needed to go so far as scattering hints throughout a series of episodes, but maybe having Kasidy make an actual appearance before this episode might have helped (mentioning her in yesterday’s episode doesn’t count). Similarly, while I can understand Garak being interested in Zyial, she’s been on the station for seven episodes. Why is Garak only now starting to approach her (or vice-versa, in some cases)? The show’s done a decent job in the past of suggesting that things happen even when we’re not watching; now would have been a perfect time for that. Instead, you’re left feeling like something has gone wrong somewhere down the line, and no matter how much you know there are rational behind-the-scenes reasons for it, it does linger in the back of your mind.

I don’t know if I’d go so far as to classify this episode as mediocre, but it’s definitely not quite as good as other episodes this season. As I said, though, it has some good ideas and fits DS9’s patterns of grey morality and doing something different, so I can’t complain too much about it. I just hope things pick up a little tomorrow.

How it Relates to the Whole: While I’m not sure how much follow-up to this there will be in the next few episodes, there will definitely be some long term effects, including a whole episode that’s a sequel of sorts to this one. Plus, one supporting character will be taken out of the picture for awhile, and Garak and Zyial’s interactions here will lead to bigger things down the line. None of it may directly tie in to the largest of DS9’s plots, but they’ll help to flesh out the world and the characters, which is pretty much just as good, at least as far as I’m concerned.

Other: *During the opening scene, when Kasidy has to leave the bed she shares with Sisko to check on her ship, she manages to change from a nightgown to a jumpsuit in the space of about ten seconds. I’d initially assumed it was because they were both dresses, but a later shot revealed it was in fact a jumpsuit with pants. I guess you learn to dress quickly when you’re on a ship, but even so…

*After Kasidy leaves in the scene mentioned above, Sisko sniffs her pillow, tosses his aside, and then uses hers instead. I can’t decide if that’s cute, weird, or slightly creepy.

*There appears to have been an issue with Cardassian makeup this episode. Normally, I tend to think of the Cardassians as being greyish-white, as previous screenshots will confirm;





Today, however;



I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but there are a lot of shots where both Garak and Zyial seem to have mostly human flesh tones. Zyial you can try to justify because she’s half-Bajoran, but Garak is a little harder to explain. If he looks the same in his next appearance, I’ll just put it up to a change in makeup. If he looks different…well, I’ll be more confused, but I least I’ll be reassured it’s not just me.

*While the stories have been interesting, the last three episodes have been sending out some mixed signals in regards to Sisko’s personal life. First there was “Shattered Mirror”, which neglected to mention Kasidy even once. Then she got mentioned in “The Muse”, but as I said, it seemed weird to bring her up given what happened in the previous episode. Now in this episode, Sisko suggests he and Kasidy drop everything and run off for some private time on Risa…when he’d just said in the prior episode that he doesn’t get leave very often, and he (presumably) used that leave up during the events of “The Muse”. It’s not a serious issue, but it’s something that probably really annoys people who have even more of an interest in continuity than I do.

*We see someone bring a weapon into a holosuite near the end of the episode. So much for station security not allowing weapons on the Promenade, or those little forcefields and scanners that popped up in “Captive Pursuit”. As with many of my minor quibbles with this episode, there are ways to try to square the circle, but it’s still jarring in the heat of the moment. Well, at least if you’re somewhat pedantic like I am.

*WARNING: HUGE SPOILERS FOR THE EPISODE INCOMING. While I could save this little tidbit for the sequel I mentioned, it’s more appropriate to talk about here. Having that warning was the best compromise I could come up with. Anyway…way back in “The Search”, when Eddington first showed up, one of my family members took one look at him and immediately decided he was a traitor who would do something bad in the two-parter. When that didn’t happen, said family member was surprised. Then this episode happened, and the cry of “I knew it!” rang out from the family room. It’s become a bit of a joke with us now, and adds a little something extra to the episode for me when I rewatch it. It also makes me wonder how many other people had the same reaction, given that I was completely fooled. Some people are clearly more savvy about these things than others.

Best Line/Exchange: It was hard to choose today. There’s another “Lets prove that DS9 is a darker Star Trek” speech, but it also spoils elements of the episode, and I like to avoid that where possible. So instead, I guess I’ll go with something that’s probably mostly funny only to me;

(Garak is working on a new suit for Quark)
Quark: Can’t you do something about these lapels?
Garak: Such as?
Quark: I don’t know, I’m not a tailor! Just…make them look good.
Garak: Oh, make them look good! And all this time I thought you wanted me to try to make them look bad. I wish you’d said that before; it’s much simpler when the customer explains what he wants.

Remember, my headcanon is that Garak deliberately makes ugly outfits, so Garak’s declaration was bound to get me smirking. Besides, given Quark’s outfits, making them look good or bad is very much in the eye of the beholder, so there’s an extra bit of humor to be had from that as well. Sure, it’s not quite as dramatic or interesting as the other speech, but it’s appropriate for me, and I think that counts just as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment