Monday, July 3, 2017

Day 106: DS9, Rapture




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S5EP10, “Rapture”



Summary: When the Cardassians finally return a piece of art detailing the lost Bajoran city of B’hala, Sisko becomes intrigued by the markings on an obelisk painted in the center (it’s said that deciphering the markings on all four sides will lead to the location of the city). As he’s trying to piece things together in a holosuite, a bolt of electricity zaps him, but initially, he doesn’t show any damage, just some heightened senses. However, while the rest of the station is preparing for the ceremony that will officially allow Bajor into the Federation, Sisko remains obsessed with finding B’hala, compounded by the fact that he swears he’s having visions. A lot of Bajorans (including Kai Winn) take him at his word, but Starfleet’s a little more concerned about his physical and mental health. It’s not that they think he’s crazy; it’s that the electricity is having a gradual but severe impact on his brain. But Sisko is convinced these visions are important, and isn’t about to let a little thing like impending death get in the way. Points for persistence, I guess…?

Standalone Thoughts: While I do respond positively to this episode, it’s more for the promise it contains (see the next section) than for the actual content. Most of the episode consists of Sisko acting odd, people worrying about him, and a few dramatic events scattered throughout. It all fits together reasonably well, but it’s not always the most engaging material to watch. Furthermore, Avery Brooks’ performance is mostly fine, but there are moments, especially near the end, when it starts to veer into overacting, which can be distracting. Not to mention the fact that there are quite a few exchanges that feel vaguely preachy, covering such matters as the nature of faith, devotion to duty, and that doctors have to abide by what the patient wants. If I was seeing this episode for the first time, I probably wouldn’t be all that impressed by the end of it (though I’d probably be somewhat invested for most of it as I waited to see where things were going). That being said…

How it Relates to the Whole: I can’t help but feel like this is the episode where it’s all starting to come together. There’s blatant foreshadowing for future events (some of which I’m pretty sure will take place this season), Sisko seems to be openly embracing being the Emissary instead of just accepting it (which is also laying some groundwork for later), Kai Winn looks like she’s gaining some complexity, Kasidy Yates has reentered the picture…something just feels like the writers are poised to kick off the big story. I don’t think they’re ready just yet—if memory serves, they’ve got some loose ends to tie up first—but I think it’s all going to start this season. And I’m beginning to get really excited for that.

Other: *The thing that’s actually most notable for me about this episode isn’t the plot (although as you saw above, that’s clearly important), but the change in uniform. We’ve gone from this;


To this;



…without any warning. This is the sort of change I’d expect to be introduced at the start of a new season, or perhaps at the midpoint of this season. Furthermore, I’d have expected some attention to be drawn to it, because it’s such a major change from what’s come before (there was a similar change in uniforms over the course of TNG, but it was less glaring than this). Instead, the best we get is Bashir asking Sisko if his uniform seems brighter, when, ironically, the colors have actually gotten darker. As with all changes, I know I’ll eventually get used to the new outfits, but frankly, I liked the old ones better. These may be more practical (they appear to be a jacket, vest, pants, and shirt combination instead of a jumpsuit), and the darker shade fits the impending increasing darkness of the show, but it just seems to be missing something now. But at least we’ve got good stories to make up for it.

*Part of the way Sisko cracks the code of the obelisk is by unconsciously cutting up and rearranging pieces of fruit on his plate. If that wasn’t a Close Encounters of the Third Kind reference, I’ll bite my shirt (look, I’m covering my bases in case I’m wrong, and I’m not stupid enough to try to eat a hat).

*Sisko has a monologue at one point about how, when Jake was a baby, Sisko held him and felt like he could see Jake’s future all laid out for him, and that now, he feels like he can do the same thing with the universe. It’s supposed to be profound, but I’m afraid all I could think was that he sounded like he was stoned off his gourd. That sounds exactly like the sort of thing you’d hear from someone who just woke up from a vivid dream or who has been taking drugs. I’m sorry if I’ve spoiled the moment, writers, but it just didn’t click the way it was supposed to.


Best Line/Exchange: This was another hard one. Sisko’s speech about holding the universe like a baby was memorable, but not in a way that makes me consider it the best. So I guess my choice is;

(The crew in Ops is fretting over Sisko’s health)
Kira: Chief, I know you’re worried, but the Prophets are leading the Emissary on this path for a reason.
Worf: Do not attempt to convince them, Major. They cannot understand.
Dax: Since when did you believe in the Prophets?
Worf: What I believe in is faith.

He continues on from there, and the scene becomes more of your standard “faith gives you strength” discussion, but I specifically liked this bit because of the solidarity between Worf and Kira. They have different faiths and believe in different gods, but they understand each other because they both know what it means to believe in something intangible. I don’t know, it just jumped out at me, maybe because in the real world, people of different faiths are more likely to disagree than agree with each other. Maybe I just appreciate the fact that that aspect of things seems to have toned down somewhat in the Star Trek future.

After the Fact Update: The DS9 Companion says that any connection between the fruit scene and the scene in Close Encounters “isn’t entirely coincidental”. So no clothes eating for me today. Although speaking of clothes, the uniform thing was explained. It seems that the new uniform style was actually designed for the movie Star Trek: First Contact, and this was just the first time they were making their debut for the TV show. Still wish they could have dropped a proper explanation in, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment