Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Day 122: DS9, Call to Arms




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S5EP26, “Call to Arms”

By sheer coincidence, we end the fifth season just as I hit the 1/3rd mark on this project. I have to say, it’s a good matchup this time around.

 Summary: Fleets of Dominion ships have been regularly coming through the wormhole, ostensibly to aid the Cardassian rebuilding efforts. Sisko and Starfleet know better, of course, and start making the necessary preparations. Plans are made to mine the wormhole so no further Dominion ships can get through, pretty much all nonessential personnel are sent away from the station, and while Starfleet can’t provide much aid, Sisko and the others are resourceful enough that they’ll be able to hold the line, at least for a while. Above all, though, one thing is very clear; the Federation is now at war.


Standalone Thoughts: This is it. This is the episode where everything clicks into place and the show becomes focused. There will still be standalone episodes (including Ferengi and mirror universe episodes), but there’s a direction now, and the majority of the episodes will focus on the Dominion War. And may I say, this was an excellent start to that.

Pretty much everything about this episode is great. The building tension, the action scenes in the last act, the callbacks to previous episodes (I saw references to “Progress”, “Children of Time”, and “Nor the Battle to the Strong”)…it’s all fantastically handled, and the ending is all but guaranteed to make you want to come back next season to see what’s going to happen. Above all, though the character work is stellar. Not just that of the main characters, but nearly all the major supporting characters we’ve been introduced to play a role in this episode, and make us care. Dukat and Weyoun make great bad guys (in different ways), Rom and Nog prove that Ferengi can be taken seriously, Garak remains as sly as ever, Martok shows his warrior’s spirit…it’s beautiful and just drives home how good DS9 was with its supporting characters when they put their minds to it.

I don’t know if there’s much more I can add to that. It’s a great episode brimming with potential, and I think really needs to be seen to be fully appreciated. Perhaps then other people will join me in singing its praises.

How it Relates to the Whole: Well, it kicks off the Dominion War, so that’s a pretty big thing. Joking aside, the episode’s definitely going to have long-term consequences, both in terms of plot and character development. I can’t go into details for fear of spoilers, but this is unquestionably a must-see. Oh, brave new world that has such stories in it!

Other: *Zyial suggests that Garak make Leeta’s wedding dress, saying that it would unquestionably be beautiful. My immediate reaction was “Are you mad?” because I continue to maintain that Garak’s outfits are deliberately ugly. That being said, I am slightly curious to see what he would have come up with…

*Odo’s way of handling the awkwardness between him and Kira after the revelation of his feelings in “Children of Time” is both very in character for him and incredibly sweet. It’s no wonder he and Kira have become two of my favorite characters this time around.

*Weyoun tries to prey on Sisko’s sympathies by basically pulling the “children are dying in Africa” card, and I absolutely love the blatant manipulation on display. In that moment, you understand the phrase “a villain you love to hate”.

*First The Wizard of Oz, now Casablanca gets quoted. I don’t think this homage works quite as well, but given that “Profit and Loss” was originally inspired by Casablanca, I’m more amused by it if I see it as a form of revenge by the writers for not being able to be so blatant about it the first time around.

*Season wrap-up: Despite how much I love this episode, the season as a whole is…ok. Sure, the episodes are generally well executed, but there just weren’t as many standouts as there were in Season Four (the two exceptions are this episode and “By Inferno’s Light). Plus, the episodes I’d call good aren’t quite the same quality of “good” as other seasons; if they’d been in Seasons Three or Four I’d probably have classified them as “upper middle” quality. I’ve still mostly enjoyed myself, and there definitely weren’t any horrible episodes, but I had been expecting a slightly higher quality from this season that wasn’t quite there. We’ll see if my memory is similarly faulty with Seasons Six and Seven, though of course I hope that’s not the case. At least this episode seems to be offering a lot of promise…



Best Line/Exchange: I may love the character moments, but I liked one of the profound moments best this time around;

Odo: If we try to stop those convoys, it may very well start a war.
Sisko: Maybe so. But one thing is certain, we’re losing the peace. Which means a war could be our only hope.

It mimics the Latin/Roman quote “If you want peace, prepare for war”, but it somehow sounds much more meaningful and dark the way Sisko phrases it. And given the tone of the episode, that’s entirely appropriate.

End of Season Fashion Roundup: Here we go again…

 (Apocalypse Rising)


Different shots of this outfit suggest that what we have here is a pair of pants and a vest that are the same color, but in this shot, Jake looks like he’s wearing overalls. Combined with the striped shirt, and he winds up looking like a farmer. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t what the costumers were going for.


 (The Ship)


The amount of skin on display in this particular Jem’Hadar landing party is kind of alarming. Combine that with the weird accessories on the Jem’Hadar and the shortness of the Vorta’s skirt (you can’t see it here, but a later shot reveals it barely covers her butt), and you have to wonder what exactly their primary mission is. If I didn’t know better, I’d say they were some sort of Dominion equivalent of the USO. As it is, though, I have no idea.


 (Looking for par'Mach in all the Wrong Places)


Quark’s outfit definitely doesn’t suit him, but I actually like Dax’s outfit here. I’m a sucker for anything cat patterned (the sleeves look a little like the spots of a snow leopard), and the gold armor on the bodice is a nice accent. I’m not sure when it would be appropriate to wear in my everyday life, but I’d wear it nevertheless.


 (Looking for par'Mach in all the Wrong Places)


I mean, this is actually pretty flattering as far as maternity wear goes, but it a) seems too short, b) looks just a little too shiny, and c) is a weird mustard yellow color. It’s not that I hate it, but something seems off about it at the same time. But maybe that’s just me.


 (Nor the Battle to the Strong)


Once you get past the fact that Jake’s shirt is pink, the shirt and vest he wears throughout the episode is fine. That jacket, on the other hand, not only looks slightly too big for him but looks more like something his grandfather should be wearing. Then again, if we interpret it as Jake wearing it because he thinks it makes him look like a serious writer (the whole “tweed jacket” thing), then at least we can provide a clever explanation for it.


 (The Assignment)


Say what you will about evil Keiko, but at least she’s got a decent fashion sense. I’d probably wear all of those outfits, and they look like something you could buy in a store to boot.


 (Let He Who is Without Sin...)


I’ve already said my piece on Bashir’s choice of beachwear, but seeing him in a group shot makes it all the more glaring. Leeta and Quark are wearing bright colors that are a little gaudy, but fit the beach setting perfectly. Dax is more understated, but looks good. Bashir’s colors aren’t bright enough, nor does it actually look like something you’d wear to the beach (long pants made out of some sort of velvet?), so even if he’s not the first thing your eye is drawn to, it’s the one that winds up looking the worst. Seriously, Bashir, just…stick to your uniform from now on if this is the sort of casual wear we could expect from you.


 (Things Past)
I’ve never seen Garak wear that belt before, and it’s…weird. It’s basically a strip of cloth, except then it has random cuts in it that are too big to be practical and therefore must be decorative. Sure, it matches the purple highlights in the shoulders, but otherwise, it’s too big and clunky to work as part of the outfit. Further proof (along with a cuff that’s too big) that tailoring isn’t actually Garak’s strong suit.

I was going to post a picture from "The Begotten" here, but (I swear this is true) Blogger refused to post it, even though it had no trouble with any of the other pictures. Even I didn't think it was that ugly. Here's a picture I got from the internet instead. My commentary: Green on one side, plaid on the other…other than fitting a lumberjack motif, why would anybody think this is a good idea?

(In Purgatory's Shadow)



The blue of Garak’s outfit here isn’t terrible, but something seems off about the arms. They just seem like they’ve been inflated or padded. Trying to make it look like you’ve got more muscle than you actually do, Garak?

(In Purgatory's Shadow)



I actually don’t think this is too bad. Maybe not the color I’d choose, but I like the design of the chest. Wonder if that’s more of a Cardassian or a Bajoran design.

(In Purgatory's Shadow)



I like this one too. The splash of color in the center mixed with the colored highlights in an otherwise dark dress is very striking. Tone down the shoulders a bit, and I could see that being an excellent dress to use in both formal and casual situations.

(A Simple Investigation)



On the one hand, this dress is very simple and kind of boring. But when you look at the little accent ribbons around the dress, and you see they’re asymmetrical and give one shoulder a different style than the other. Even the simple dresses can’t be left untouched by insane 24th century fashion designers, can they?

(Business as Usual)



First off, I love the fact that Hagath is cut out of the image so that our attention goes straight to his much more attractive looking companion. As for her outfit, well, it seems to have taken the idea of “leather and lace” a bit literally, but if the goal was to be eye-catching, then they succeeded.

(Business as Usual)



Shocking as it is, I’m going to kind of defend Quark’s coat here. It’s still too much of a muchness, but the pattern reminds me of stained glass windows, and so I’m inclined to be somewhat charitable towards it.


(Ties of Blood and Water)



Apparently comfy knitwear is very popular among older Cardassians (Tain wore something similar in “The Wire”). Don’t get me wrong, it looks very soft and might be nice to wear, but it’s just not a look I’d associate with Cardassians. Though it does say something that I’d wear this over any of the outfits Garak’s modeled for us…


(Soldiers of the Empire)



This is the first time I ever remember seeing Klingon armor that lacked sleeves. It’s jarring on the one hand, but very appropriate for Klingons on the other. So let’s just call this a wash and move on.


(In the Cards)



Half leather, half mismatched fabrics (the arm is a noticeably different color and pattern than the body)…the Founders clearly didn’t bring up the clones with any sort of fashion sense.


(Call to Arms)



I almost liked this outfit. It looked like a cocktail dress that I’d be happy to wear. Unfortunately, she then turned around;





The low back, I can accept. The fact that one buttcheek is practically on full display, not so much.

Conclusion: A few good choices, some odd choices, and several choices that pretty much exemplify why I hate 24th century fashion. Even if not many of the episodes themselves were standouts, the outfits certainly were.

No comments:

Post a Comment