Sunday, July 30, 2017

Day 133: DS9, Waltz




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S6EP11, “Waltz”

 Summary: Sisko and Dukat are on their way to a Federation hearing to discuss Dukat’s actions while he was leader of Cardassia when their ship is attacked by the Dominion. Sisko is badly injured, and Dukat manages to evacuate them to a stormy planet and find them shelter in a cave. As the Defiant races to find survivors before being sent to protect a convoy, Sisko and Dukat have nothing to do but wait and talk. Unfortunately for Sisko, Dukat’s undergone a mental breakdown since the Federation retook Deep Space Nine, which means he keeps talking to people who aren’t there and constantly fishes for compliments from Sisko. Injured and stranded with a madman…there aren’t a lot of ways this situation can get any worse.


Standalone Thoughts: For the most part, this is a decent episode. Sisko and Dukat’s interactions are pretty compelling, and Brooks and Alaimo play the roles well. Sure, both of them nibble on the scenery here and there, but given that Dukat’s clearly meant to be unhinged, Alaimo shows remarkable restraint, or at least makes Dukat’s madness feel natural to the scene instead of being over-the-top. Furthermore, Dukat’s justification of his treatment of the Bajorans is very easy to map onto how the Jews were regarded and treated in WWII, but unlike in “Duet”, it doesn’t feel like we’re being preached to. For that alone, I’m willing to give the episode some points. All that being said, Sisko’s stance on Dukat that comes out near the end of the episode baffles me, and therefore leaves me unsure what to think about the episode as a whole. As a result, beware of SPOILERS in the next paragraph.

As the episode goes on, Sisko gradually realizes that Dukat is unhinged. He’s seen Dukat talking to thin air, and he knows Dukat had a breakdown after Ziyal’s death. So the fact that he concludes at the very end that Dukat is “truly evil” doesn’t entirely make sense to me. I can understand Sisko thinking that Dukat is deluded into thinking he’s a hero, and I could completely understand it if he called Dukat dangerous, because he is. I can even understand if he considered Dukat to be evil. But “truly evil” seems a bit much, especially factoring in Dukat’s mental state. Isn’t it possible that some of the things Dukat said were the product of his current warped way of viewing the world, and that he might not necessarily think that way if he was of sound mind? It just doesn’t seem right to peg the man as pure evil, given that he’s suffering through some difficult physical and mental conditions.

SPOILERS OVER. I’ll grant you that I’m not always able to pick up on some of the nuances, so it’s entirely possible that my issue actually makes total sense to everyone else and I just didn’t get it. In which case, I’d be happy to hear other people explain what’s going on, and then maybe I can appreciate the episode in its entirety. For now, though, I’ll probably rank it somewhere in the upper middle of the season, where it will probably remain. I may not consider it one of the greats, but it’s definitely fairly strong, and has allowed Season Six to remain pretty high quality so far. Let’s hope that can be sustained.

How it Relates to the Whole: This episode mostly exists to set Dukat in a new direction. It also sets up the dramatic event that’s going to close out the season, and Sisko’s last line winds up predicting the events of the show’s finale as well. So even if it’s a little baffling, it’s unquestionably a very important episode, though one which is much more significant after the fact. Though now I’ll be curious to read the DS9 Companion to see if this was planned or not…

Other: *The lighting and camera people went overboard in the opening scene, pairing Sisko’s ominous monologue about Dukat with numerous cuts of Sisko walking purposefully down hallways and filling the frame with shadows. The words and Sisko’s expression speak for themselves; you don’t have to make everything portentous.

*I really don’t like the fakeout the episode pulls by making it look like the Defiant spotted Sisko’s distress signal the moment he activated it, only for that to turn out not to be the case ten minutes later. Sure, it adds some tension at first, but it just annoys your audience in the long run. The scenes between Sisko and Dukat would have been enough to sustain the episode without the fakeout; having the Defiant on a time limit is more than enough external conflict.

*I couldn’t help but notice that the cut on Dukat’s forehead that I spotted in “Sons and Daughters” appears and disappears throughout the episode. Like I said, I normally don’t notice or mention continuity errors, but the fact that it appears on one of the most prominent parts of the Cardassian makeup makes it hard to ignore. I just feel like that’s the one place where the makeup crews should really focus on to make sure everything looks right.


Best Line/Exchange: It was hard to find an exchange that both stood out from the rest and wasn’t too spoilery. Which ultimately left me with this;

(Dukat is talking to a hallucination of Damar)
Dukat: No. I won’t do it, not yet.
Damar: You’re wasting time.
Dukat: It’s my time to waste, Damar. Remember your place.
Damar: I mean no disrespect, you know that. But without you, the war will be lost, and Cardassia will lie in ruins. Don’t let this one man stand in the way of your final triumph.
Dukat: I have to know that he respects me. I think I’ve earned it.
Damar: Of course you have. He’s just trying to deny you the satisfaction of hearing him say it. You know in your heart he secretly admires you. Isn’t that enough? Kill him and be done with it.

I think this exchange is probably the most important one in the whole episode, because it informs all of Dukat’s actions from that point forward. It becomes obvious that he’s trying to lead Sisko in the direction he wants—giving Dukat the respect he craves—and his later rant about Bajor matches the statement Damar (who’s probably representing the ego) makes that Dukat is essential to the war effort. Even if I still don’t fully understand Sisko’s perspective, at least we know what’s going on from Dukat’s point of view, so we won’t be completely lost. Which I’d say is particularly important in this case.

After the Fact Update: There was no comment in the DS9 Companion on whether the writers had plans for Dukat at this point in time. And it does at least explain a little what their intent was, though I don’t think they pulled it off entirely successfully. But as I said, maybe that’s just me.


No comments:

Post a Comment