Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Day 135: DS9, Far Beyond the Stars




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S6EP13, “Far Beyond the Stars”


Note: We’ve got another case of episode swap today. We’ll see if the DS9 Companion gives a reason for it today or tomorrow.



 Summary: Sisko, feeling stressed over the Dominion War, starts experiencing hallucinations of people in outfits from the 1950’s. An examination of his brain reveals similar patterns to the ones he was showing during “Rapture”, but before Sisko can process this, things shift to the 50’s, with Sisko unaware of the change. He’s now Benny, a writer for the sci-fi magazine Incredible Tales. The staff consists of the rest of the DS9 crew, and some of the supporting cast pops up here and there as well. Benny sees a piece of artwork that looks similar to Deep Space Nine, and writes a story around it that’s clearly supposed to be “our” DS9. But there’s opposition to him publishing it, because it features a black captain. Benny refuses to accept that, although based on the opening of the episode, there may be a more personal reason for it…


Standalone Thoughts: I’ll give the episode this; even though you just know it’s eventually going to turn into a message story, it manages to avoid getting really preachy until very late in the game. I think part of that is due to the novelty of seeing a lot of the characters out of makeup, and wondering who’s going to pop up where. Or maybe that’s just the writer in me; I love the idea of experimenting with your creations and putting them in very different settings just to see what happens, so seeing someone else do it might be more appealing to me than it is to others. Even without that aspect, though, I think a large chunk of the material is well handled. The sets, costumes, and music set the atmosphere perfectly, the banter between the characters is fun, and the preachier elements aren’t in-your-face. So for the most part, the episode can mostly be treated like the forays into the Mirror Universe; canon and yet not quite connected.

As I said, though, the episode gives up or gives in near the end, depending on your point of view. The scenarios get more blatantly racist, and Avery Brooks is given an impassioned speech that may be sincerely delivered, but winds up feeling like overacting to me. Plus, we know from the teaser that this episode is of the “it’s all a dream/hallucination” variety, so people who don’t like that trope are probably going to be doubly annoyed. Then, of course, you throw in some philosophical “what is reality” talk, and the whole thing just becomes even more messy. In the end, I’d say this is mostly a good episode, but the ending downgrades it to being in the middle of the pack. I know a lot of people love this episode, but like the equally well-regarded “The Visitor”, I can understand the reason for it, but don’t entirely share the opinion myself. So I guess that makes me a semi-contrarian this time.

How it Relates to the Whole: Not only is this episode a surprise callback to “Rapture”, but despite all appearances, it’s going to wind up being relevant later. But we’ll get into that discussion when the time comes.

Other: *That model rocket in the center of this shot;



…looks uncannily like the rocket Hergé drew for his series featuring Tintin on the moon;

(original source here)


I’m not sure if that was a common design/color scheme from the 50’s or if the writers were doing a deliberate homage. It did cause me to double take, at any rate.

*Shortly before watching this episode, I stumbled across this, and therefore spent a little time thinking about it myself. Looking at the names for the 50’s characters on Memory Alpha, I saw that they’d named Bashir’s character Julius Eaton, which is about as British a name as you can get. I’m guessing that, because they wanted the focus to be on Sisko/Benny, they decided to just have Julius be an Englishman with a deep tan. Sure, it might have been interesting to have Julius as an Arabic character, or have the concept of white passing be addressed, but maybe they didn’t want to go too far into message territory, or thought there wasn’t enough time to include that plot thread. In the end, I think it’s up to each individual person to decide if the writers made the right call. Me, I think it could have gone either way.

*Speaking of Memory Alpha, I’d had my suspicions while watching the episode, but it was only while checking the character names on Memory Alpha that I got confirmation that Kay/Kira and Julius are supposed to be married. Given the offscreen relationship between Alexander Siddig and Nana Visitor, that’s a nice little touch.

*Douglas/Odo and Herbert/Quark’s constant arguing makes sense, since it’s mirroring the relationship between Odo and Quark, but the enmity between Herbert and Julius kind of comes out of nowhere. Maybe it was supposed to show how things were different instead of similar (Albert is absolutely nothing like O’Brien save for the interest in mechanical things), but some fans may be left wondering if there’s something they’ve been missing.

*I’m kind of astounded that the episode managed to use the n-word at one point. Sure, it’s period accurate, but that just seems like one of those words you aren’t allowed to air on TV. It’s entirely possible I’m wrong on that one, though. This could just be a social taboo rather than a mandated one.

*One of the shots used as we come back from commercial is blatant stock footage. Cost-cutting measure or nod to the period? You decide!

*And on the subject of commercial breaks, they’re pretty subdued this time around, often fading out on scenes where nothing’s really happening. There isn’t even a dramatic music sting on several of them. I guess the weirdness of the situation’s supposed to be enough, but it’s still noticeable.

Best Line/Exchange: Since the third act gets too preachy/philosophical, I knew I’d be choosing something from earlier in the episode. And as is common for me, I gravitated to the humor;

(The “Incredible Tales” artist, Roy [J.G. Hertzler, aka Martok] is offering up art for the writers to base their stories on)
Roy: And this is Mr. Pabst’s favorite.
(He holds up a drawing of a giant praying mantis ogling a woman in a bikini)
Douglas: “Honeymoon on Andoras”
Kay: Oh, you’ve got to be kidding.
Roy: What? So I had too much sauerkraut on my franks that night. What can I say?
Herbert: Be that as it may, that is the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen.
Roy: Thank you.
Herbert: I’ll take it.

This one’s all about the banter and the delivery, and there’s not much more to say than that. I’m just a sucker for snappy dialogue.



No comments:

Post a Comment