Thursday, August 3, 2017

Day 137: DS9, Honor Among Thieves




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S6EP15, “Honor Among Thieves”

 Summary: Starfleet Intelligence has discovered evidence of an Orion Syndicate mole in Starfleet, and has therefore deployed someone off the radar—O’Brien—to go undercover and figure out what’s going on. Using his engineering know-how, O’Brien comes to the attention of a mid-level figure in the Syndicate, Bilby (Nick Take). Bilby appreciates O’Brien’s skills and honesty, and starts trusting O’Brien almost immediately. O’Brien is willing to play along, but when it comes out that the Syndicate has ties to the Dominion, his genuine concern for Bilby may start to get in the way of the mission.


Standalone Thoughts: I’m not entirely sure how to describe this episode. It’s not one of the ones that starts weak and gets stronger as it goes, because it’s pretty interesting from the get-go, but where we wind up at the end of the episode isn’t at all what you would have expected based on the opening. Initially, it kind of looks like an episode where O’Brien has lost his memory and falls in with a bad crowd. Before the end of the teaser, though, we see that he’s actually undercover for Starfleet, which leads into the “character goes undercover and starts to get in too deep” plot. Now it’s not a bad handling of that plot, but there’s a small part of you that feels like this is a story that could have been used in an earlier season, because it’s so totally disconnected from what’s going on in the rest of the show. And then the Dominion show up, and suddenly it fits in perfectly with the rest of the show. It’s a weird bit of misdirection, and one that is both clever but has a lot of potential to backfire. It works in this case, but I don’t think it’s a trick I’ll be adding to my repertoire.

Focusing on the actual plot, it’s overall very good. The episode is clearly aping noir or gangster pictures, so if you like those genres (like I do), then you’ll probably get at least a little enjoyment out of it. That being said, they do lay on some of the clichés a bit thick, like hard-bitten dialogue or excessive atmospheric elements like shadows, steam, or lightening. But what really sells the episode is the relationship between O’Brien and Bilby. Nick Tate makes Bilby very likeable, so you can understand why O’Brien would begin to care about the guy’s well-being (not to mention he has a cat that he cares a lot about, so of course I’m going to be somewhat sympathetic to him). At the same time, Meany does a great job keeping O’Brien “in character” to blend in with the rest of the Syndicate while letting glimpses of his true personality through. The bond between the two of them is believable, which is what makes the ending really stand out. While a lot of the story goes in the directions you’d expect, the ending is somewhat of a surprise, albeit one that’s in keeping with the grey morality of DS9. It certainly tips the episode from “decent” to “good” in my eyes, and while it’s not essential viewing, I’d certainly say it’s worth watching.

How it Relates to the Whole: I’m not entirely sure about this one. I think there may be a semi-followup to this in the seventh season, but my memory is hazy on that score. All I know for certain is that the cat makes one more appearance in the show (not enough, in my opinion). And while I can’t prove anything, I do wonder if this episode, particularly the line about needing “someone outside Starfleet Intelligence” to help, may have contributed to a later plot development…

Other: *One of Bilby’s associates skirts uncomfortably close to falling into Asian stereotypes, with a Fu Manchu mustache and a way of speaking that doesn’t quite fall into “L for R” territory, but has very similar cadences. Fortunately, he’s not onscreen all that much, but it’s still noticeable and just a little cringeworthy.

*We eventually find out that the Orion Syndicate’s informant at Starfleet was in charge of the weather systems on Risa in the previous year. Given that Season Five was host to “Let He Who is Without Sin…”, I wonder if that was meant to be a callback of some sort. Actually, I wondered if we were going to get a brief fakeout where O’Brien suspected Worf, given what happened in that episode. It’s probably for the best that the episode didn’t go that route, but it’s a slightly intriguing idea, at any rate.

*The Vorta in this episode, Gelnon (Leland Crooke), was actually in yesterday’s episode as well. There was no foreshadowing of this episode (he said was going to go attack some Dilithium mines), but I do appreciate the semi-continuity.

Best Line/Exchange: While there’s good dialogue on display here, a lot of it is stuff you’d find in any gangster/noir plot, and therefore doesn’t stand out. So I’m slightly embarrassed to report that the bit that jumped out at me most had barely anything to do with the main plot;

(Bashir is complaining to Sisko about the security malfunctions on the station that have started popping up since O’Brien left)
Sisko: You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if Major Kira or Commander Worf came in here demanding answers, but you? It’s not your style.
Bashir: Well, apparently it is. Here I am.
Sisko: I’m not buying it, Doctor. You didn’t come in here to complain, you came here because you are worried about your friend, and you want me to set your mind at ease. I wish I could. But if it helps, I will tell you this; the Chief can take care of himself as well as anyone I know.
Bashir: You’re right about that, sir. (turns to go) You’re right about that.

I just found this really endearing. Bashir’s concern for O’Brien is very similar to the role O’Brien played in “Doctor Bashir, I Presume?”, and a lovely indication that their friendship goes both ways. Plus, Sisko knowing Bashir well enough to figure out what’s really going on speaks well of his observational skills, and reflects positively on his command abilities. I’m guessing a lot of my reason for liking this has to do with my bias, but even so, it’s a nice character moment. At least, that’s how I’m going to justify it.

After the Fact Update: The DS9 Companion hints that I was correct in thinking there’s a followup to this episode, so I’m glad I’m not completely off base there. Although if it was an inspiration for an upcoming episode, the book is currently keeping quiet about it. We’ll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment