Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Day 143: DS9, The Reckoning




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S6EP21, “The Reckoning”

 Summary: Sisko is called down to the ruins of B’hala (last seen in “Rapture”), because the archaeologists found an ancient Bajoran tablet that has a message for the Emissary. More ominously, it states that something called “The Reckoning” is approaching. Sisko has the tablet brought up to DS9 for study and translation, to the ire of Kai Winn, who feels that removing the tablet has angered the Prophets. Clearly something is going on, because the wormhole keeps opening and closing, the station keeps shaking, and there are all sorts of natural disasters happening on Bajor. Eventually, the truth comes out; it’s foretold that a Prophet and a Pah-Wraith will battle to the death, and whoever wins will determine the fate of Bajor. Although before that, DS9 is probably going to be the first casualty.


Standalone Thoughts: I’m of two minds about this episode. For the most part, it has a lot going for it. The discussions about faith are interesting without being heavy-handed, and the dramatic turn the story takes in the third act is unquestionably compelling. It even maintains Season Six’s theme of “characters do things that aren’t necessarily the right thing to do”, and at the same level of quality. But for some reason, the more distance I get from the episode, the more I feel indifferent to it. I guess it’s because, final act notwithstanding, we’ve seen this sort of thing on DS9 before. Sisko vs. Kai Winn, a prophecy no one’s sure how to decipher, Sisko’s position as the Emissary causing him to know things the rest of the Bajorans don’t…they may be interesting in the heat of the moment, but it doesn’t necessarily stick in your brain, perhaps because its vying for attention with similar scenes from previous episodes. There’s probably a reason I didn’t remember anything about this episode before I sat down to watch it.

Like I said, the episode isn’t bad by any stretch, and I think it’s probably necessary viewing. But due to its somewhat forgettable nature, I think I’d have to put this one somewhere in the middle of the pack. Though I comfort myself with the knowledge that I’m putting it there because I consider it insubstantial more than actually mediocre.

How it Relates to the Whole: The episode is obviously a follow-up to “Rapture”, but as for going forward, I’m pretty sure this helps set up both the events at the end of the season and the direction Kai Winn will wind up taking. So even if it doesn’t seem relevant right now, rest assured that it will be.

Other: *I had a slight double take when Dax mentioned a planet called “Cyberon”. My immediate thought was that this was some sort of planet of robots (a Transformers reference, perhaps?), which seemed out of place given what we know of the Star Trek universe. Then I checked the subtitles and saw that she said “Syberon”, which admittedly looks more science-fictiony. I think you can understand my reaction, though.

*When Sisko tells Dax to get to work on translating the tablet, which everyone knows is going to be a very difficult job, Dax apparently makes a sarcastic kissy-face at him when his back is turned. Given the whole “Old Man” thing, this seems bizarrely out of place for her (the bit in “Fascination” notwithstanding). Sticking her tongue out probably would have been much more appropriate.

*I think the first conversation Sisko and Kai Winn have in this episode is the cattiest conversation they have ever had. Nearly every sentence by the end of it is dripping with sarcasm or a not-so-veiled insult. And I’m not sure if I’m amused or a bit put-out by it.

Best Line/Exchange: Most of the conversations are discussions about responsibility or faith, which are fine but don’t have the sort of ear-catching quality that makes them contenders for this section. Which is why I went with this instead;

(Kira and Odo linger after a staff meeting)
Kira (grinning): “Will the Romulans leave Benzar?” You love to bring up the worst case scenarios in these meetings, don’t you?
Odo: Somebody has to. Besides, everyone expects me to be dour and suspicious; I don’t want to disappoint them.
Kira: If only they knew the real you.
Odo: That is the real me. At least as far as everyone else is concerned. (the two of them touch foreheads, smiling)

It’s a great example of playful teasing banter between a couple that still speaks to who the characters are. Odo knows he’s a curmudgeon and embraces it, and Kira accepts it while also poking fun at it. Would that all of us could have a significant other that we could do this with.


No comments:

Post a Comment