Monday, August 7, 2017

Day 141: DS9, In the Pale Moonlight




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S6EP19, “In the Pale Moonlight”

 Summary: Sisko makes a personal log entry in an attempt to make sense of what’s happened over the past two weeks. It seems that after one too many postings of casualty reports, Sisko decided to do something to turn the tide in their favor; he would try to get the Romulans involved in the war. The Romulans signed a non-aggression pact with the Dominion, but Sisko is hoping that Garak can use his contacts on Cardassia to find some evidence that once the Dominion finishes with the Klingons and the Federation, they’ll turn their sights on the Romulans. When that option falls through, Garak convinces Sisko to fake the evidence, arguing that the ends justify the means. But while Sisko goes along with it, he has his doubts. Doubts that, with the benefit of hindsight, he might want to have listened to.


Standalone Thoughts: After the letdown of “Inquisition”, I was a little worried about what my reaction to this one would be, especially since it’s considered one of the best ever DS9 episodes. Fortunately, for once I’m in agreement with the majority; this episode is incredibly well done. While it’s not going to be among my favorites (of this season or of all time), it’s definitely earned a spot on the top five for Season Six solely on the basis of content and execution.

I don’t want to go into too many details so you can experience it for yourself, but I’ll mention some highlights. Andrew Robinson is phenomenal, bringing Garak’s usual slyness and wit to the table while also showing us his more dangerous side as well. Avery Brooks is also incredible, showing us his dark side without taking Sisko out of character (although I will admit that one of his speeches veers dangerously close to overacting). The director/writers deliberately have Sisko break the fourth wall as he’s recording the events into his personal log, which I’m sure is symbolic of making the viewer complicit in Sisko’s actions, but you can’t deny it makes things feel more real.  Above all, the tone is very engaging, the dialogue is fantastic, and much like the characters, the plot developments are dark, but not so dark that they feel out of place for the show. I still think “Hard Time” is the darkest DS9 episode because it addresses things you generally don’t see in media (whereas the material from this episode would fit right in with espionage stories or, oddly enough, certain comic books), but this one takes second place easily.

While you absolutely shouldn’t introduce someone to Deep Space Nine with this, showing it to someone who was familiar with the characters but on the fence about continuing the show (so probably around the end of Season Three) might be enough to sway people, at least people who like darker material. That being said, it’s probably best to experience it in continuity so you can really appreciate how we got to this point. Besides, seeing it directly after “Inquisition” kind up props that episode up; it’s still not a strong episode, but they both highlight the darker side of Star Trek, and one kind of informs the other. “In the Pale Moonlight” probably would be fine without seeing “Inquisition”, but knowing about Sisko’s position in the one makes what happens in this one cut much deeper. Conversely, “Inquisition” is bolstered by having an episode with similar themes and a better execution, so it’s easy to think of the two of them as a set. Though after that one-two punch, it’s not surprising that we’re going to get some lighter fare tomorrow…

How it Relates to the Whole: I can’t say much without spoiling the episode, but I will say this episode makes an impact on the rest of the Dominion War, although I can’t remember if we see any actual evidence of it in the show. It’s more likely to come into play somewhere in Season Seven, though, so I’ll address it if it shows up.

Other: *This is Garak’s first appearance since “Sacrifice of Angels”, though we don’t get any particular reason for his not being around this time. While I wish he’d been around a bit more (I’d have been fascinated to see how they used him in “Inquisition”), his lengthy absence may make his return in this episode all the more glorious. At any rate, though, I’m glad to have him back, though whether or not he’ll make any more appearances this season remains to be seen.

*Laugh at me and my bias all you want, but it should be noted that it’s Bashir who first mentions how useful it would be to have the Romulans as allies. Dax expands on it, and that’s what gives Sisko the idea to make it a reality, but Bashir played a part in the decision as well, for good or for ill. One wonders how he’d feel if he knew what his frustrated comment had led to.

*For some strange reason, one line from this episode got popular enough that it became a meme on the internet. I mean, I guess it’s an over-the-top delivery, but why that of all things is what DS9 is best known for to people outside the fandom…

Best Line/Exchange: There’s a lot of excellent material here. But given what I chose for yesterday’s Best Exchange, why don’t we pick something that kind of turns that on its head? Although by doing that, I have to warn for ABSOLUTELY GIGANTIC SPOILERS;

Sisko: So…I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all…I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again…I would. Garak was right about one thing; a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. (He lifts the glass he’s holding and starts to take a drink, then stops and sets it down) Because I can live with it. (Pause) I can live with it.

What I really like about this is the repetition of “I can live with it”. Because the more Sisko says it, the more it starts to sound like he’s trying to convince himself of that. He’s got enough force of will that I can believe he’ll learn to live with it, but that flash of doubt in an otherwise determined tone of voice (needless to say, this scene is brilliantly acted) is a very nice touch. The whole speech also sums up both the episode and the darkness of DS9 in one go; it’s no surprise it’s one of the more famous moments in the series. And therefore, it’s not much of a surprise that I picked it, either.

After the Fact Update (SPOILER WARNING): The DS9 Companion basically agrees with me about the way they used “I can live with it” in my choice for Best Line, but revealed something I hadn’t realized; it’s an homage to The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. And now that I think about it, that makes so much sense.


2 comments:

  1. This may have been my all time favorite episode because in conjunction with the last one, it changed the Star Trek universe more than any other pair of episodes in any of the shows.

    For years the Star Trek Universe was a fantasy land of "Oh we need no money", "We have a Prime Directive", "We surrender", etc. Everything was pure and noble except for a few bad actors who were invariably exposed and were clearly NOT what the Federation stood for.

    All of a sudden we have an unaccountable black ops unit and then a major Star Fleet officer conniving in the assassination of a foreign diplomat. Faced with an existentialist threat (which it never felt like the Borg posed), the Federation and its best officers forsake their principles for survival.

    I love it, but I can see why a number of fans HATE DS9: it shattered their vision of the Federation.

    In the process of making the universe more "real," the producers also gave it more texture and thus made it much richer a place to play in as a writer.

    It seems to me that about here is where DS9 become great television and transcended its origins. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I agree with you on pretty much all your points. The only place I differ from you is that I think DS9 had "[given] it more texture and thus made it much richer a place to play in as a writer" a lot sooner than this episode. As I mentioned, episodes like "Honor Among Thieves" and "Change of Heart" had the good guys make a choice and have it NOT turn out for the best, and I've talked about the show's grey morality numerous times. But you are correct that I think this episode is probably the one where they REALLY cross the line, but in an excellent way. Would that more shows were willing to take risks like this.

      Delete