Sunday, August 6, 2017

Day 140: DS9, Inquisition




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S6EP18, “Inquisition”

 Summary: Deep Space Nine is put on lockdown because Starfleet Intelligence suspects there’s a Dominion informant on the station. Their representative, Sloan (William Sadler) questions all the senior staff, but it quickly becomes apparent that the person he’s most interested in is Bashir. Further questioning on both ends reveals that Sloan thinks the Dominion did something to Bashir’s mind during his time in prison, that he became a sleeper agent but compartmentalized it so he’s not even aware of his illicit actions. Bashir doesn’t buy it for a second, but Sloan won’t let up, and the longer it goes on, the more it looks like something is going on. Although what that something is probably isn’t what anybody expected.


Standalone Thoughts: I think this may be an episode that’s stronger on a first watch than on subsequent watches. The first time through, you don’t know what’s happening or what to expect, and while you can hazard a guess that everything will turn out well, DS9 has thrown us enough curveballs that there’s always the possibility that things are going to go in an unexpected direction. So we’re kept off balance enough to stay invested, which may in turn make us more receptive to the big reveal at the end of the episode. Plus, if you like Bashir (I mean in general, not to the same extent that I do), you’ll really feel sorry for him as things progress. So even though we’ve had a lot of these “High ranking Starfleet officer comes in and starts bullying one or more characters” plots in Star Trek, you might consider it a good example of the form.

When you know what everything is leading to, however, I don’t think the episode is quite as engaging. The cast is playing almost everything in a muted register, it can be hard to figure out how we got from Point A to Point B (and even if that was deliberate, that doesn’t make it any less confusing), and the big reveal was nowhere near as dramatic or interesting as I’d remembered it. Some of this could be my own biases—I don’t like the “character keeps having bad things happen to him in quick succession” trope, so having it happen to one of my favorites is even worse—but even with that, I don’t think this episode is one of DS9’s best outings. It’s not a bad idea, and leads to some interesting things, but the execution leaves a little something to be desired.

How it Relates to the Whole: This episode establishes the existence of Section 31, which will make a few recurring appearances throughout the rest of the show, eventually tying into the main plot. I know at least one of those stories is going to wind up being much better executed than this, so at least good things came from an inauspicious start.

Other: *The lighting department didn’t even try to hide the fact that Sloan was the bad guy in this episode; the way they light him from underneath his face in his very first onscreen appearance makes him look shady at best. I can’t decide if this is a nice touch or an overtipping of their hand.

*“So far, your case is based on circumstantial evidence and speculation!” I must admit that I laughed at that line, because while Sisko is correct and it’s not funny in the context of the episode, remembering the one thousand four hundred word “trial” I wrote up in “Doctor Bashir, I Presume?” just makes me realize me and Sloan have something in common. I’m not entirely sure I’m on board with that, but what can you do?

*In relation to the above point, though, I will acknowledge that the episode is trying to bring in continuity, so the accusations against Bashir this episode don’t come out of nowhere. Even if it isn’t always well-handled, I always feel the need to give the show points for tying in previous material.

*I will give the episode this; the ending is a nice counterbalance to everything we saw in the rest of the episode, and proves Bashir’s belief about his crewmates correct. It’s a good way to help us settle down after all the twists and turns.

Best Line/Exchange: Surprisingly, in an episode that’s all about Bashir, I gave the honor to someone else;

Sisko: I need to talk to my Chief Medical Officer in private.
Sloan: I can understand that. But security protocol requires that no one talk to the prisoner without clearance from me.
Sisko: Director Sloan, have you received orders from Starfleet to relieve me of my command of this station?
Sloan: No, I haven’t.
Sisko: Well then, as long as I remain in command, I will see Dr. Bashir whenever I please. Furthermore, from now on I will sit in on all interrogation sessions to make sure his rights are observed. Do I make myself clear?

Sisko’s come a long way from Season One, when he was mostly just playing the role of “Guy in charge”. Now he’s challenging authority, asserting his own authority, standing up for his crew, and making sure everything is above board. It really shows him as a great leader, and therefore gives his decisions a little more weight. And while I had no initial idea I was going to pick this bit, choosing it is going to make what happens in tomorrow’s episode stand out all the more…

After the Fact Update: I hinted that I thought Section 31’s origins came about from a line in “Honor Among Thieves”, but apparently it originated partially from a line in “The Maquis, Part II”, and grew out of a plot that had originally been a comedy episode about Bashir vs. the space equivalent of the DMV (yes, I’m serious). Baffling as that sounds, I know that stories can come from unexpected places, so I’m not about to knock it.


No comments:

Post a Comment