Monday, April 3, 2017

Day 15: DS9, If Wishes Were Horses




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S1EP15, “If Wishes Were Horses”



Summary: After reading his daughter a fairy tale, O’Brien is both stunned and a bit concerned when the subject of that fairy tale, Rumpelstiltskin (Michael John Anderson) shows up in her bedroom. Similar apparitions start appearing around the station, including one of Sisko’s favorite baseball players, Buck Bokai (Keone Young) and a clone of Dax who keeps trying to seduce Bashir. It quickly becomes apparent that these figures are spawned from people’s imaginations, and they seem to be coming from an anomaly that’s spawned near the station and runs the risk of destroying the whole region. Now the crew has to figure out how to stop it, with the added wrinkle that they really can’t let their mind wander.

Standalone Thoughts: Maybe it’s because I’m a creative type, and therefore have quite an active imagination myself, but I wound up enjoying this episode. It’s got a decent mixture of humor and seriousness, and the whole thing is entertaining, if not always the most cohesive. The episode toys with the main conflict being due to one of three Star Trek tropes (Holodeck malfunction, anomaly, and a third one I won’t spoil), and while it’s clever on the one hand, it can also be a bit annoying or feel like a cop-out. This is especially true of the resolution, which works on one level but also feels a little too convenient. I think this is one of those things that are enjoyable in the moment but become more flawed the more you think about them, but as long as you mostly enjoyed yourself, it’s not that big a deal. It does make my job a little harder, though.

How it Relates to the Whole: There’s not a lot that’s relevant in this episode either. Despite the hint of a “sequel” at the end of the episode, I don’t believe there’s any follow-up to this. We get a little more of the Bashir/Dax not-quite-relationship (which in turn says some things about Dax that I believe wind up changing as the series goes on), but it’s not really going to make a gigantic impact on things. The only thing this might lead to is the use of a certain prop on Sisko’s desk, but that’s not something that’s going to have major ramifications. It’s not a bad episode, but it’s definitely not what I would call “essential viewing”.

Other: *Quark continues to be kind of wonderful. He’s smart enough to recognize business opportunities, and his snarky line deliveries are almost always fun. As someone who likes both humor and cunning, he’s right up my alley. I don’t think he’ll ever be my absolute favorite character from the show, but he’s certainly been the most consistently entertaining here in Season One.

*Odo also has some great moments here, like when he’s first trying to deal with the bird on the promenade (see above), or his curmudgeonly, almost philosophical musing on imagination early in the episode. With him and Quark playing off each other, you pretty much have the best parts of the episode.

*Dax suggests Bashir distract himself by taking a “high-pitched sonic shower”, which I assume is the equivalent of a cold shower. I get the point of the joke, but all it does is make me wonder how sonic showers are even supposed to work? How do they get you clean? I’m sure there’s an explanation somewhere, but I’m not going to dig around to find out. Besides, I can only wade through so much technobabble.

*I do have to wonder who keeps conjuring up the birds, and why. Is it an ornithologist, or someone who used to keep the birds as pets?

Best Line/Exchange: This is probably the most obvious line I could have chosen, but it’s the sort of deliberately silly line that I like, so…

Odo (Speaking to a crowd): Ladies and gentlemen—and all androgynous creatures—your attention please! As you may have noticed, we’re experiencing some difficulties. I’m going to have to ask you all to please refrain from using your imaginations!

It helps that Odo sounds less like he’s angry and more like a carnival barker. I’m guessing that wasn’t intentional, but it adds to the humor, so I’m happy it’s there.

No comments:

Post a Comment