Friday, April 21, 2017

Day 33: DS9, Whispers




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S2EP14, “Whispers”

 Summary: We’re dropped into the episode in media res, with O’Brien dictating his personal log as he flies a runabout solo towards the Parada system. It seems that, earlier that week, he was in the system to get the security specs for peace talks that will be held on the station. When he returned to start implementing them, however, everyone started acting strangely around him. People are avoiding him or dodging his questions, and he concludes that something sinister is going on. Basically, the entire episode can be summed up as “The Paranoia Show With Miles O’Brien”. Which is fine if you like paranoia/conspiracy tropes, but if you’re here for the plot…

Standalone Thoughts: This is one of those episodes where there’s a big risk that the audience will get ahead of the story, and thus diminish their enjoyment of it. And that’s exactly what happened to me. The episode opens with O’Brien alone on a runabout, talking about a mysterious “they”, and all the indications are that he’s on the run. While there are a few different directions the episode can go from here, something—Meany’s acting, perhaps—pretty quickly hints that this is a “it’s all in someone’s head” plot. Once you come to that conclusion, all you can really do is sit back and wait for the big reveal. Is it a hallucination? A simulation? Was an outside force involved? The viewer can try to appreciate the smaller details, like the acting or the little hints of what’s actually going on, but because we suspect none of this is “real”, it’s hard to get invested. To the episode’s credit, I wasn’t expecting the reveal they gave us, but it just winds up raising a lot of questions that aren’t answered. Ultimately, the ending is more interesting than the rest of the episode, and I think we can all agree that’s generally not a good thing.

How it Relates to the Whole: While none of the contents of this episode really matter in the grand scheme of things, it does occur to me that it kind of parallels one of the more dramatic incidents in Season Five. Unfortunately, no one comments on it in-universe. I’ll get into more details when we hit the incident in question.

Other: *Even though O’Brien is getting more and more paranoid as the episode goes on, I don’t understand why he gets so suspicious when Keiko makes some of his favorite foods, even though she doesn’t like them herself. That just seems like something a couple would do on occasion; it’s all about compromise and give and take. Either I missed something (which is absolutely possible), or the episode’s implying things about Keiko that I don’t think it meant to.

*Today we learn that anybody can access station logs, which I found oddly jarring. It makes sense on the one hand—it’s kind of like an after-action report—but I’m so used to it being used as an exposition dump that I just think of it as a kind of personal monologue. The perils of established conventions, I guess.

*Quark mentions at one point that O’Brien and Bashir have a racquetball rematch coming up, as they never completed their first attempt. It’s a nice callback to “Rivals”, and even if I don’t think they ever do get that rematch, I appreciate good uses of continuity like this.

*The entire situation that leads to this conflict makes no sense, now that I think about it. The Paradans are a race from the Gamma Quadrant; we know this because O’Brien goes through the wormhole. They’ve been in a civil war for over a decade…and now they’re asking the Federation to help them negotiate a peace treaty? Why would they ask for help from a group they’ve (presumably) only just met, and that comes from the other side of the galaxy, no less? And how does the Prime Directive factor into this? Is it ok if someone asks for help in their internal affairs, or is the episode just choosing to ignore it? I know it’s not the thing we’re supposed to focus on, but I think they should have changed it to a species in the Alpha Quadrant to try to avoid some of these pitfalls.

Best Line/Exchange: Again, there was nothing particularly noteworthy here. The best I could come up with was this;

O’Brien: What I found in those hidden logs didn’t answer all of my questions, but they sure as hell confirmed what I’d been afraid of. They were analyzing and reanalyzing everything that I’d put into my report about Paradan security. They’d even broken into my personal logs to see what they could find in there. I hope they enjoyed reading the sexy letters to my wife.

Not only is the last line delivered with the right amount of dry sarcasm, it’s a sweet, humorous note in a mostly serious plot. And with an episode like this, that counts for a lot.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the 2nd season has settled into mediocrity after a good start. Would you agree?

    Also, have they stopped 2ndary character development to establish O'Brien (who seems to have been in focus in a lot of recent episodes)? What's up with Nog, Garik and Morn? And is Dax still around and doing anything when she's not unconscious in her own episodes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sounds like the 2nd season has settled into mediocrity after a good start. Would you agree?"

      Yeah, I think that's probably accurate on the whole. They had a fantastic start, but in practice, it's following the Season One formula after all (good start and then kind of starts coasting).

      You're right that O'Brien's been in focus for three episodes now (including the one I'll be posting today), and I have no idea why. He's a good everyman character and all, but I don't think he needs to be a major player for three episodes in a row. Plus, every episode he's a major player in increases the odds of Keiko showing up, which I can definitely do without. To be fair, she hasn't been completely insufferable this season, so there's a chance my memory of her is worse than the reality. I'm not holding my breath on that, though.

      And yes, the secondary characters are mostly in hibernation right now. Garak hasn't been back since "Cardassians" (trust me, I'd mention it if he showed up), Nog's popped up occasionally but hasn't really done anything worth mentioning, and Morn's hanging around in the background as usual, but the main cast isn't really commenting on him. As for Dax, she's starting to come across as more playful and fun-loving, though that only shows up in brief asides. Most of the time, she's a spouter of technobabble. So she's kind of developing, but it's a very slow process. On the whole, I'd say the show took two steps forward and one step back. I'm just hoping they don't take another step back and wind up exactly where they started by the end of the season.

      Delete