Friday, April 14, 2017

Day 26: DS9, Rules of Acquisition




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S2EP7, “Rules of Acquisition”

 Summary: Quark is contacted by Grand Nagus Zek, who wants Quark to be his point man on the first Ferengi negotiations with a race from the Gamma Quadrant, the Dosi. Delighted at the opportunity, Quark throws himself into it, with the help of a very astute waiter from the bar (as Quark naturally doesn’t consider Rom to be capable of the job). What he doesn’t know is that the waiter, Pel (Hélène Udy) is actually a woman, and since females are looked down upon in Ferengi society, her involvement could lead to big trouble if she was ever found out. As one might imagine, being found out winds up taking up most of the plot, though at least it leaves most of the preachiness at the door.


Standalone Thoughts: I liked this episode, though I’ll also admit to personal bias. I love stories about women who defy society’s rules and prove that they’re just as capable, if not more so, than the men are. Historical fiction (or indeed, real life stories) where women disguise themselves as men and then go on to be awesome is like catnip to me. The minute Pel was revealed to be a woman, my interest in the episode shot up by at least fifty percent. However, I know this trope isn’t for everyone, so you’ll definitely have to take my opinion with a grain of salt this time around.

That aside, I can’t really come up with much to say about the episode. The guest actors play their parts well, the story blends humor and seriousness nicely, the makeup and costume department did a good job disguising Udy’s gender, a semi-subplot about Zek pursuing Kira is amusing but unnecessary, and that about sums the whole thing up. If you like the Ferengi episodes, this one will be fine, but if you don’t, I doubt this one’s going to change your opinion.

How it Relates to the Whole: While I don’t remember if Pel ever makes a return appearance, some of the issues that come up in relation to her will wind up becoming major plot points (for Ferengi episodes, anyway) later down the line. So if she doesn’t return or even get mentioned, I’m going to be disappointed.

(I know I could check Memory Alpha like I did with Melora yesterday, but I like to try to rediscover these things on my own. I was almost completely certain that Melora never came back, but I’m less sure with Pel, so I’ll hedge my bets on this one.)

The episode also establishes Dax being on good terms with the Ferengi, which I believe is a recurring gag and somewhat ties in to Quark’s feelings about her to boot. My memory on this is hazy, though, so I’m not sure how big a role this actually plays. More importantly, this episode marks the first time we hear of something called “The Dominion”, which is absolutely a large part of DS9’s story. And it makes its debut in a Ferengi episode. Unassuming entrances indeed.

Other: *Early on in the episode, Sisko manages to use Ferengi tactics to ensure Zek won’t cause trouble on the station. It’s a fun scene, but it does raise a question in my mind. Sisko stresses that Zek can’t cheat the Dosi, and Zek says “You have my word.” Given that Kira just got finished explaining how untrustworthy the Ferengi are, why on earth would you trust a Ferengi to keep his word? I feel like Sisko immediately whipping out a contract and forcing Zek to sign it would have been both appropriate and humorous here.

*We have another alien species for the “could have come from 60’s Star Trek” group;



It’s just the right blend between appropriately alien and cheesy that it would have fit right at home in Captain Kirk’s day.

*At one point, Dax and Pel are talking about Quark, and Dax affectionately says that she loves Quark. When Pel responds in kind, Dax lightly teases her about it. Only then does she discover that Pel is a woman. It’s a bit that’s only a few seconds long, but I appreciate the fact that the episode doesn’t make a big deal over the fact that a man is attracted to another man, unlike other shows where an entire episode might be dedicated to it. The show can be hit or miss in that area, but in this case, they hit it out of the park.

Best Line/Exchange: It’s not a great line per se, but as a meta commentary, it’s perfect;

(Kira and Dax are discussing the Ferengi in general)
Kira: They’re greedy, misogynistic, untrustworthy little trolls, and I wouldn’t turn my back on one of them for a second.
Dax: Neither would I. But once you accept that, you’ll find they can be a lot of fun.

That kind of seems to be the opinion of the showrunners too. They embrace the over-the-top natures of the Ferengi, and use them to tell stories that are both humorous and, later down the line, actually kind of serious. Whether or not they were making a declaration of intent, I can’t say, but I’m certainly happy to take that message to heart right along with them.


2 comments:

  1. The show must be getting better because your reviews are finding more meat to chew on even in throwaway episodes... or are any of the episodes now throwaway. I find it very interesting that the first mention of the Dominion occurs in an episode where no one (especially at the time this episode was produced) would have expected anything meaningful.

    It reads as if the show is slowly starting to weave in the threads of the longer story arcs. And not only plot threads, it sounds like the personalities are becoming deeper and more nuanced and giving direction and momentum to the plots because of their personalities (such as Bashir in the last episode - couldn't have been written for Dr. Crusher for example).

    Overall, it seems as if the show is showing a significant overall improvement even if it has not fully hit its stride yet. Would you agree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to tell at the moment. There hasn't been an episode I really disliked so far this season ("Invasive Procedures" probably came closest), but nothing's gotten me as excited as the three-part arc did. So I guess there's been improvement, but it's a more subtle improvement. Maybe it would be more noticeable if I watched a random episode from each season and compared them that way.

      Delete