Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Day 16: DS9, The Forsaken




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S1EP16, “The Forsaken”

 Summary: A group of ambassadors have come to DS9 on wormhole related business, including Lwaxana Troi (Majel Barrett), a familiar face over on TNG. After Odo stops a thief from stealing her brooch, Lwaxana sets her sights on him, to Odo’s dismay. Bashir, meanwhile, has to deal with the other three ambassadors, all of whom are annoying in their own way. To top it off, an unusual device comes through the wormhole, and when O’Brien uses the station’s computer to scan it, something jumps into the station and starts messing with the computer, but not in the expected way. Sure, it shuts down various systems, but otherwise, the computer seems to be running smoother than ever, which leads the crew to conclude that there’s some sort of living entity in there that just wants attention. They’ve got to figure out how to strike some sort of compromise, and soon; one of the shut down systems was the turbolifts, one of which was carrying Lwaxana and Odo. And Odo’s regeneration cycle is coming up fast…


Standalone Thoughts: Lwaxana Troi has a certain reputation among most Trek fans; namely, that she may be written to be intentionally annoying, but that still makes her annoying. My first exposure to her on TNG was when I was younger and less inclined towards critical thinking, so I was mostly indifferent to her. Having grown up and heard so many people complaining about her, I was bracing myself for the worst. And maybe it’s just that I haven’t seen her in awhile so I don’t have a benchmark to compare it to, or that I’m inclined to cut DS9 slack as much as possible, but…I don’t think she’s that bad this episode.

Don’t get me wrong, she’s exactly what everyone expects in her early scenes—loud, arrogant, constantly chasing after men, and wearing outlandish outfits—but the longer she’s stuck in the elevator with Odo, the more sympathetic she becomes. She seems like she’s genuinely interested in Odo’s story, and tries to be nice to him in a variety of ways. Maybe it’s because she’s really only playing off of Odo and no one else, but she seems more like a character rather than a caricature. If this is what can happen when different writers get their hands on an established character, then I think it’s something that needs to be experimented with more often.

The rest of the episode is a little less successful. I think the big problem is that so much of it relies on technobabble, so it’s not always easy to follow along. Even so, I feel like the resolution is too fast and not very well-explained. What exactly did O’Brien do to fix it? Why did it make everything go back to normal? How do we know the solution is a permanent one? This really would have benefitted from explaining things to the audience in normal words.

I should probably also mention Bashir’s subplot, because it led to more than a few observations from me. First, the intent may have been that Sisko was assigning Bashir as liaison to the diplomats as a learning experience, but it really comes across as a punishment of some sort. Bashir’s had his problems this season, but this seems a bit out of the blue for Sisko, who’s never given any indication that he thinks Bashir needs this sort of tough love. Secondly, Bashir has an interesting moment where he seems exasperated by “frontier adventures” which is the exact opposite of the things he was saying in “Emissary”, and while it was probably brought on by the stress of dealing with the ambassadors, it suggests a slight change in his character, which is good. Third, like the computer plot, Bashir’s solution to getting out of the tough situation he and the ambassadors find themselves in in the third act is just kind of shown to us without going into details, when it’s the details that I really wanted to see. And finally, we get yet another moment that would have tied in beautifully to later developments, even though I’m pretty sure it wasn’t intentional. When we finally hit that point, I may need to compile a list. Unfortunately, I’m going to be in for a bit of a wait.

How it Relates to the Whole: Like Picard in “Emissary”, the Duras sisters in “Past Prologue”, and Q in “Q-less”, this seems to be another example of the studio putting in a familiar face from TNG in order to boost DS9’s ratings. I’m not sure how effective it was (even at the time, I don’t think Lwaxana was well-loved), but like other call-backs to the rest of the franchise, I felt it was worth pointing out.

As for how it will relate to DS9 going forward, there’s actually a decent amount here. I’m not sure if the new computer entity ever shows up again, but Lwaxana will make (I believe) two more appearances, one of which directly connects back to this episode. More importantly, we learn more about Odo’s backstory, which will lead to its own episode later down the line. In short, this is an episode that has both small and large ramifications, and that wasn’t at all what I was expecting from it. But then, DS9 was always full of surprises.

Other: *Why is this episode called “The Forsaken”? You can try to argue that the computer thing is a forsaken entity, but we never get any proof of that. Odo and Bashir have difficult tasks ahead of them, but they weren’t abandoned so much as targeted and thrown under the bus, respectively. I don’t know what this episode should have been called, but they probably should have saved this title for an episode with more appropriate material.

*Remember back in “Vortex” when I said the computer was being oddly literal? This episode suggests that that was meant to be both intentional and recurring, given O’Brien’s frustrations with the computer. However, even its antics here seem more “normal” than that moment in “Vortex”. Granted, it wasn’t something I was really paying attention to, but the fact that I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary most of the time suggests that either the writers didn’t do a good job of getting their point across, or that they made it up for this episode.

*I love this little fourth-wall break;



It may not have been intentional, but a Trek fan can read a lot into that expression, and that’s part of what makes it so fun.

*I realized while watching this episode that I’d stopped paying too much attention to Odo’s makeup. I might have just been getting distracted by bigger issues, but I think that’s because the makeup crew has generally figured out what they’re doing. It only came up this time because a) the makeup around Odo’s lips seemed a little off, and b) the crew did a great job with Odo’s makeup as his regeneration deadline comes closer. It seemed appropriate to mention it one last time before considering this an established part of the series.


*This is the first time we see an internal view of the DS9 turbolifts, and they’re actually kind of neat;



It’s functional and artistic at the same time. I hope it shows up again occasionally; it’s a cool shift in perspective.

*There are several lines here that make implications that you wouldn’t expect to hear on a Star Trek show. One is a line that I’m pretty sure is meant to be a double entendre (either that or I’ve got a filthier mind than I realized), and the other sounds suspiciously like a “I want to kill myself to get out of this” line, only the line is delivered with an uncomfortably serious tone. DS9’s reputation of being the most adult of the shows continues to hold up.

*There is no way that the scene where the crew tries to distract the computer long enough to remove the entity manually wasn’t inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey. If the crew is saying otherwise, then they’re lying.

*I didn’t mention it yesterday, but there was a fire effect in one scene that didn’t look remotely realistic, but I was willing to turn a blind eye because it was related to the “imagination” thing. However, it looks like the same fire effect was used in this episode, and it looks just as fake, even though it’s meant to be real this time. I’m guessing they were just trying to save money, but it’s a little awkward in practice.

Best Line/Exchange: While there are some amusing bits scattered throughout, the one I chose is actually a bit of a surprise, even to me;

(Lwaxana has removed her wig)
Lwaxana: No one’s ever seen me like this.
Odo: Why? It looks fine.
Lwaxana (shaking her head): It looks ordinary. I’ve never cared to be ordinary.

This is quite possibly the simplest yet most accurate summary of Lwaxana ever, and it’s said very gently and genuinely. It shows that Lwaxana has a certain amount of self-awareness, and that she can be serious when the situation calls for it. More proof that at its best, DS9’s writing could draw unexpected depth out of almost any character.


No comments:

Post a Comment