Sunday, April 9, 2017

Day 21: DS9, The Circle




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S2EP2, “The Circle”


I feel like I need to make a warning at this point. Now that (at least some) of the episodes are going to be multi-parters, I’m going to have to spoil elements that came up in previous parts if I’m going to talk about each episode properly. I’ll still try to avoid spoilers where I can, but be warned.

 Summary: In order to find a position worthy of newly returned hero Li Nalas, Minister Jaro Essa (Frank Langella) has appointed him to be the new liaison between Bajor and DS9, putting Kira out of a job. No one knows for sure where she’ll be stationed, and while that’s being sorted out (Li didn’t want this job, and Sisko isn’t about to give Kira up without a fight), Vedek Bareil invites Kira to stay at his monastery, which she accepts. Meanwhile, the situation on Bajor is deteriorating, with the extremist group “The Circle” gaining ground suspiciously fast. Then Quark figures out that The Circle is being supplied with weapons, and investigations (plus one kidnapping by the bad guys) quickly reveal that the whole situation is way more complicated than anyone had first imagined. Unfortunately, it also means that the station is now running headlong into the bureaucratic nightmare that is The Prime Directive, so Sisko now has to make a choice. Based on what’s going on, it’s a fairly easy choice to make.


Standalone Thoughts: Words cannot express how happy I am right now. Pretty much from the word go, this episode is good, maybe even bordering on great. The pacing is fast but easy to follow, the line deliveries are just right, there’s just the right balance of setbacks and steps forward, intrigue and subterfuge flourishes on both sides…I was not expecting this level of quality from the second episode of Season Two. And I don’t think this is just a case of this being strong in comparison to Season One but weak when matched up against later episodes; this is the sort of thing I remember from the show’s peak. Like I said yesterday, I don’t think the showrunners can sustain this throughout the whole season (they need to build up their muscles), but it’s like getting a taste of something you remember from your childhood, and it being just as good as you remembered.

I’m completely serious when I say the episode is good out of the gate. Sisko and Jaro’s conversation in the teaser not only has Sisko defending Kira in a way that shows how far the two of them have come since the pilot, but ends with him offering a read-between-the-lines threat that proves he knows what’s actually going on and doesn’t approve of it. It was so well played that I thought I had Best Line locked in the first minute. But then we come back from the credits to see Kira packing her things to leave, and the scene that follows is a wonder to behold. It starts out very serious and almost intense, with great acting, and then turns into a combination of the Abbott and Costello “Who’s on First” routine and the Stateroom scene from the Marx Brothers movie A Night at the Opera. The timing is impeccable, all the actions make sense for each character, and the whole thing clicks on multiple levels. That scene alone leaves enough goodwill for me to like the rest of the episode, although it doesn’t need the boost.

There really isn’t much more I can say on the matter. Great acting, good plot developments, world-building done quickly and efficiently…about the only weak spot is that some of Vedek Bareil’s lines have that spiritual new-age feel that can be a bit corny or preachy. On the whole, though, this is the sort of thing I like to see. If you wanted to introduce the show to people, showing them the pilot and then jumping straight to this arc might actually be the way to go. Of course, my opinion may change depending on the resolution of things…

How it Relates to the Whole: It’s still too early to tell how all this is going to play out, and what consequences it’ll have for Bajor and the station. We do, however, get some seeds planted for a future romantic relationship (maybe even more than one), and Sisko’s leadership style in a crisis is showcased to good effect (though I suspect we’ll really get a taste of that tomorrow). We’ll just have to wait and see what else this arc might be leading to.

Other: *The entire way they handle Kira’s leaving is really well done. In addition to the scene I described, her goodbye scene is Ops is touching. If this had been done at the end of the season, or later on in the show, I might have assumed Nana Visitor was leaving the show and they were giving her a sendoff.

*Despite all the good material, there is one rather glaring plot hole this episode. Bareil lets Kira interact with “the third Orb. The Orb of Prophecy and Change”, which is there to help move the plot forward and provide some foreshadowing. The problem is that back in “Emissary”, Kai Opaka showed Sisko what she called a “tear of the Prophet”, and later adds that there are nine Orbs total. However, she then stresses that “the Cardassians took the others”. The Orb in “Emissary” seemed to make people relive memorable moments in their life, while this Orb is about cryptic future predictions. They don’t even look similar—one is blue-green while the other is unquestionably blue—so you can’t argue that they’re the same orb (unless you blame it on a careless prop department). I suppose we can infer that the Cardassians gave some of the Orbs back as a gesture of goodwill, but I have my doubts. A casual viewer might not care, but it’s harder to ignore when you’re watching the episodes in rapid succession. This is one place where a little retcon might be required.

*I’m a little surprised that Kira lies when asked if one character appeared in her prophecy. I’ll grant that she was probably shaken by everything and might have suspected where things were heading and didn’t want to talk about it, but she could have told the truth and not gone into details. You can make a case either way, though, so I’m not too bothered by it.

*Odo makes Quark a deputy so they can figure out what’s going on, and while the scene itself is good, what really struck me (probably because of the constant use of the word “deputy”) is that I could finally start to see this show as a Space Western. Both commenters to this blog and the DS9 Companion had suggested that that was the inspiration behind the show, but only now have I really caught a glimpse of that. We’ll have to see if that feeling continues.

*Thanks to the nature of this arc, Bashir hasn’t been given a lot to do, so it’s too early to tell if they’re starting to get a handle on him. His bit in Kira’s quarters suggests they’re still keeping him endearingly awkward, but there is one scene where he proves he’s tougher than he looks. During a rescue operation, he takes a blast to the shoulder from a weapon that’s knocked over two security officers (although they were more direct hits), but manages to get up and complete his job. When we next see him…he’s treating someone else’s injuries, and the fact that he was shot never comes up. Perhaps it wasn’t too bad and he quickly treated himself before seeing to the more severe injuries, but there’s enough ambiguity there that I choose to believe he either shrugged off an energy blast, or is in pain himself but chooses to help the others first. Now that’s dedication to medicine.

*Trek fans watching the show now will probably wind up doing a double-take when Sisko says he’s going to contact “Admiral Chakotay”. Given that Chakotay is the name of the Maquis leader and later first officer on Voyager, it makes you wonder what the connection is, or if this was another bit of semi-foreshadowing for Voyager. I checked Memory Alpha to see what was going on, and that’s when I found out that the Admiral’s last name is actually spelled “Chekote” and was supposed to be pronounced differently, but in practice, the two names sound identical, hence the confusion. Hopefully this will prevent you from being as baffled as I was.

Best Line/Exchange: As I mentioned, the entire scene in Kira’s quarters is stunning, but Kira and Odo’s interaction is absolutely the best part of the whole thing;

Odo (walking in to see Kira packing): You’re not.
Kira: Leaving? I really don’t have much choice, do I?
Odo: You’re not just leaving, Major, you’re surrendering!
Kira: You break the rules, you pay.
Odo (dry laugh): Wait a minute. I want to be sure I heard that correctly. Because it doesn’t sound like the Kira Nerys who has made a career out of breaking the rules.
Kira: Well, I guess I broke one too many.
Odo: Major, you’ve been breaking one too many for fourteen-and-a-half years. Cardassian rules, Bajoran rules, Federation rules—they’re all meaningless to you because you have a personal code that’s always mattered more, and I’m sorry to say, you’re in slim company.
Kira (smiling faintly): I’ll miss you too, Odo.

This says so much about both Kira and Odo. Their personalities, their relationship, their beliefs…it’s all laid out for us in fifty seconds. Auberjonois’ delivery of the rant is more angry and emotional than anything we’ve seen up till now, and it makes the words have that much more of an impact. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what DS9 can be when it’s firing on all cylinders. May we start getting more like this even sooner than I’d been expecting.

After the Fact Update: I’m on a roll with my movie allusions; the DS9 Companion confirms that the Marx Brothers stateroom scene was the inspiration for the scene in Kira’s room. I knew my nerdiness for old movies would come in handy someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment