Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Day 37: DS9, Profit and Loss




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S2EP18, “Profit and Loss”

 Summary: A damaged Cardassian ship arrives at the station, containing Professor Natima Lang (Mary Crosby) and two of her students. They want to be on their way as soon as possible, but that proves more difficult than it looks. For one, Quark and Lang used to be an item, and Quark’s willing to go to a lot of lengths to get her back. For another, it turns out that Lang and the others are part of a movement to get Cardassia out of military control, which the military, needless to say, doesn’t take kindly to. Cue the enigmatic involvement of a certain tailor…


Standalone Thoughts: Based on the fact that the word “Profit” was in the title, I assumed this was another Ferengi comedy episode. Well, it is a Quark episode, but otherwise, I was completely wrong, and I couldn’t be more pleased about it.

Naturally, the fact that Garak’s involved makes this episode worth watching immediately, but this time, he’s given more to do than just smile knowingly and say witty if cryptic things. We see a darker side of him in this episode, and while it’s a little scary how fast he can spring into action, it doesn’t seem out of character and it will probably only slightly change your opinion of him. We also get the Sisko vs. Garak confrontation we were denied in “Cardassians”, and it’s pretty much exactly what I expected; Sisko going straight to the point and making it clear that he’s not to be trifled with, while Garak seems unperturbed and smoothly says his piece. So no, no complaints on the Garak front for me.

The relationship between Quark and Lang, on the other hand, I’ve got more issue with. I don’t mind the idea in theory, and Shimerman and Crosby do have enough chemistry to make their scenes together feel believable. It’s just that it comes out of nowhere. We’ve never seen any evidence that Quark was pining for a lost love—in fact, given his fantasies in “If Wishes Were Horses”, his stated interest in Dax, and other such beats, it seems more like he’s the “love ‘em and leave ‘em” type (or to be more appropriate to the Ferengi, “Love ‘em until you can’t get anything more out of ‘em”). So for most of the episode, I was just assuming Quark was play-acting, trying to prey on Lang’s lingering feelings for him to get more profit out of it. Or perhaps she actually put one over on him, and now he’s trying to get back at her out of revenge. If the ending is to be believed, though, Quark was being sincere, and that just doesn’t feel right for his character. And while obviously no one knew this at the time, this relationship goes nowhere, or if it does come up again, it’s going to be over by the time we hit the end of the series. Therefore, Quark’s actions and speeches mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, so while the episode and his interactions with Lang are good on their own, it’s harder to enjoy it when you’re watching it the second time around.

Taken on its own, though, this is a good episode. Character development, shades of grey, moral dilemmas that don’t end straightforwardly, and great dialogue all add up to something I very much enjoyed watching, and reminded me of the material we’ll see in later seasons, to boot. It’s not about to displace “Necessary Evil” as the best of the season, but it’s definitely in the top five.

How it Relates to the Whole: For the first time, the show appears to be developing its supporting cast in addition to the main cast. We start to get hints about Garak’s background, which in turn will lead to him becoming far more important to the show as we go forward. It looks like the showrunners were finally starting to figure out what to do with him, and if that means he starts showing up more often, then I say “bring it on”.

Besides that (though that’s a pretty big besides), I don’t think much else becomes relevant, aside from having the first reference to Kanar, a Cardassian drink that pops up a lot in later seasons. While I think it would be great to have Lang appear again, I don’t think she actually does, which as I said above diminishes the impact of this episode. Oh well, at least I can appreciate it as a character piece.

Other: *Nana Visitor’s body language in the teaser is perfect. Kira looks tense over the fact that a Cardassian ship is at the station, but does her duty, reluctant though she is. I love small beats like that.

*Today was the first time I noticed that Quark either paints his nails, or that Ferengi have unusual nail colors;



(This is one of the best shots of it, but if it’s hard to see, rest assured, they’re painted silver)

I’ll need to keep an eye out for that sort of thing in the future, to see if this is a recurring thing. It’s a weird detail, and I wonder what the reasoning behind it is.

*The fact that Odo is reading a Mickey Spillane novel amuses me. I haven’t read any myself, but I know Spillane wrote crime/noir stories, and thus this seems very appropriate for Odo. The hints that he’s enjoying it and doesn’t want to be distracted from it is a nice touch as well.

Best Line/Exchange: After a long spate of struggling to find one line to pick, I now suddenly have practically the entire episode to pick from. While Garak is on fire as usual, his best moments are near the end, and since I don’t want to spoil things, I guess I’ll go with this;

Lang: What is it you want from me?
Quark: I know you’re in trouble; I want to help you.
Lang: I don’t want your help.
Quark: I owe you. You saved my life; if you’d turned me over to the authorities, I would have been executed.
Lang: I admired your courage. It was a brave thing you were doing, selling food to the Bajorans. I thought you were a man of honor.
Quark: I’m a Ferengi, you should have known better.

While Quark’s last line is humorous, most of the exchange is serious, and apparently sincere. It really shows that Quark is capable of caring about things besides profit, and while I didn’t entirely believe it on the first watch, I now consider it good character development. I just wish we could see more hints of this on a regular basis.

After the Fact Update: Apparently I’m not the only one who thought this was out of character for Quark. The original script borrowed heavily from Casablanca (which becomes more and more obvious now that I think about it), but when legal issues started cropping up, they had to tone it down and it turned into more of a “soap opera”, at least according to Ira Steven Behr. That led to Quark acting more like a Humphrey Bogart character (not the first time the DS9 Companion has made that comparison, oddly enough), and Behr, at least, doesn’t think that suits him. On the upside, Behr also says that “Every time Garak showed up, the episode got wonderful.”  In that, Mr. Behr, we are in complete agreement.


No comments:

Post a Comment