Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Day 17: DS9, Dramatis Personae




Show: Star Trek; Deep Space Nine
Episode Particulars: S1EP17, “Dramatis Personae”

 Summary: A Klingon ship comes through the wormhole earlier than expected, badly damaged. Before the crew can do much, the ship explodes, and the one Klingon who managed to escape dies shortly thereafter. While Bashir does an autopsy to try to determine more about what happened, Sisko and Kira start butting heads over a Valerian ship that wants to dock at the station. The Valerians used to run weapons to the Cardassians, and Kira is convinced that they’re still doing it. Her frustration over Sisko’s indifference starts to boil over, and soon almost all the officers are choosing sides. Odo is the one person who’s remaining neutral, though that’s mostly because he’s confused about what the hell is going on. Fortunately, both factions keep trying to lure him to their side, so there’s enough information there for him to eventually figure out how to fix this situation. Not that that’s going to be easy, of course.


Standalone Thoughts: I’m going to have to do another spoiler review for this, so skip down to the next bolded section if you’re interested in watching this show on your own.

*Here be Spoiler Dragons…*

In other circumstances, I think I would have loved this episode. It’s got subtle manipulations, builds off some of the established relationships between the characters, and the cause behind the conflict is something that deserved a little more explanation. Instead, I’m left feeling (probably irrationally) annoyed with it, because it’s just too much like a previous episode. Said episode is “The Passenger” which isn’t a very good episode in its own right, but in addition to tainting this episode by association, it brings up some other issues. First off, two possession based episodes in one season, with Bashir involved in both of them? Couldn’t they have saved this one for Season Two, at least? Granted, audiences at the time might not have remembered, since “The Passenger” had been three months prior (with several breaks in-between), but it’s very noticeable if you’re watching them fairly close together, which a lot of people are more likely to do nowadays. Secondly, the episode starts out almost exactly like “The Passenger” did. There’s a crisis involving a damaged ship, a badly injured person is examined by Bashir, said person says something cryptic (“Victory!” in this case) and then dies. It just feels lazy and repetitive, and when you know where the episode’s going, it gets even worse.
Even if you manage to look past that, there are still a lot of little things that just don’t work. At the beginning of the episode, Bashir shows up in Ops, apparently sitting behind one of the consoles and doing work. Why? There’s no reason for him to be there, unless there’s a part of his job description that we weren’t told about. I know it’s so that he can be on hand to get possessed, but surely they could have come up with a more plausible reason for him to be there. I appreciate the fact that Odo winds up unaffected because his brain chemistry is too alien to be possessed, but the episode just kind of…forgets about the spirit or whatever that was trying to possess him. Why didn’t it jump to the nearest person? It’s also far too convenient that Odo manages to put pretty much all the pieces together thanks to one journal entry from the Klingon ship, instead of allowing him to come to a gradual realization.  I guess they didn’t have time for that, but it winds up giving short shrift to the part that’s actually the most interesting thing about this episode; the reason behind the possession in the first place.

From what little we’re told, the Klingons found these telepathic devices on a deserted planet, which detailed the destruction of their species. Based on what we see in the episode, each device held a certain consciousness of someone involved in said destruction, which took over an appropriate host. But what happened in the original conflict? Who set up these devices, and why? How exactly do they possess people? There’s a lot that I’d like to know, but we’re only given the barest technobabble explanation. I understand that sometimes it’s good to leave a little mystery, but I think they left too much mystery in this case.

I’ll freely admit that my issues here won’t necessarily apply to everyone. People who are rewatching this episode might share my frustrations, I have no idea how people will feel about this on a first-viewing. I can’t even speak from personal experience; while this was one of the few early season episodes I remembered, I was still a casual viewer at the time and not particularly invested, so I think I just sort of accepted the plot and didn’t think much about it, though the broad outlines of the plot and particular moments stuck with me. Someone who caught this episode on TV or was only sporadically finding time to sit down and watch the show, therefore, might think it’s a decent episode. People who were binge-watching the show, however, might have a different reaction. Long story short, views on this one might be even more a matter of opinion than usual.

How it Relates to the Whole: I don’t think there’s anything that carries over from this episode. There is a throwaway line Quark says about the Klingons that might relate to later developments, but I don’t think it was intentional; if anything, it might have been something the writers chose to develop later on. While there’s some nice follow-through with Kira’s conflict with the Federation from prior episodes, it’s mostly for plot related reasons, and I don’t think it has much of an impact going forward. This may be normal for Season One, but I hope the writers really start figuring things out soon.

Other: *Though eagle-eyed fans might have realized it earlier, this episode proves that the medical office is right across the way from Quark’s. It’s like somebody knew where the place with the highest risk of injury was and prepared accordingly.

*As annoyed with this episode as I am, I do have to confess to a faint smile whenever Bashir tried his hand at manipulation, because I was reminded ever so slightly of Garak. Maybe it’s just because of his close association with Bashir later on, or maybe it’s because Bashir’s manipulation is more a “playing all the angles” sort, which is Garak’s forte, but I welcomed it.

*This episode contains a continuity gaffe that was so noticeable that I still remembered it, even though I’d forgotten a large chunk of Season One. As we near the climax, Sisko makes a big deal out of taking off his comm badge so he can’t be tracked. Then, as we cut between a series of dramatic shots…Sisko’s comm badge is very, very visible. It disappears the next time we see him, but the damage has been done. Well, at least he didn’t try to contact someone with it to make the error even more glaring…

Best Line/Exchange: I think this bit actually kills two—no, three—birds with one stone;

(Quark has just realized that Odo is pumping him for information.)
Quark: Crafty tonight, Odo, aren’t we? Looking for clues about the fate of the Klingons. If I tell you what I heard, what do I get in return?
Odo: The chances are what you heard won’t help, so why should I give you something for it?
Quark: Because…otherwise I heard nothing.
Odo: That damaged holosuite…Work Crew Seven is probably doing the repairs, am I right?
Quark (realizing what’s about to happen): Uh-huh.
Odo: Well, it looks as though I’m going to have to put in a priority request for Work Crew Seven; the bulkheads in Security could use a little shoring up.

It’s got the humor of the usual Quark/Odo dynamics (I kind of love how bribery turns into blackmail), but it’s also emblematic of the manipulations going on throughout the entire episode, as well as foreshadowing that Odo has the skills and experience to deal with the situation. It’s also the only manipulation I didn’t feel slightly annoyed by, so that basically gave it a lot of points right then and there.

After the Fact Update (AND MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT): Ok, fine, the DS9 Companion correctly points out that the device is an “energy matrix”, and that it was supposed to be like some sort of telepathic virus. It’s still basically a form of possession, so I stand by what I said.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to take so long since the last comment, but been doing a LOT of traveling. The blog is definitely taking shape and giving an overall sense of the show.

    Frankly, your episode by episode "reveal" gives me the sense that my rosy memories of the greatness of DS9 turns out to have been very much colored by the fact that it ends very strong. Seems like the first season is mostly ho-hum.

    Reading between the lines of your blog, it seems that DS9 is suffering from a number of issues the first season. First, the producers know that they have to deal with the ST legacies and they definitely want to be different, but haven't yet figured out how to be different. Thus the parade of TNG characters (and references) who on a re-"reading" seem more out of place than ever. Voyager of course faced the same issue and I don't think they ever found a satisfactory resolution.

    Second, they have to figure out what kind of SHOW they want to be - character study ("Friends" in Space?), hard hitting drama ("12 Angry Sentients?"), soap opera ("As the Station Turns"), crises of the week, or something else. As I recall, they eventually decided on something else - a long form story/character arc which I believe was relatively unprecidented at the time.

    Sure, TNG had some recurring themes - Data as Pinocchio, Scary Borg, Maquis (sort of), the slow emasculation of Riker ("help me Diana, I've lost my ambition") but no overaching plot (although they did make a lame attempt with the last episode). I think that last 10 or so episodes of DS9 really showed the long-form arc could work. However, we are a long way from that and it will be interesting to see when you think they have stopped wandering around and have found the correct path.

    But I think there is a third issue as well. They seem to still be trying to work the characters out. Sounds like only Kira, Quark and lately Odo have been well defined and stable. Sisko, Dax Jake, and Bashir still seem in fuzzy focus. Also, it seems they haven't figured out that the supporting characters ON and permanently around DS9 are more interesting than fly in character of the week. Only Nog has been mentioned a couple of times so far; where is more Garrick, or Rom, or Gul Ducat (or more Morn!!!)? One of the best parts of DS9 is that the station seemed like a community and both Bajor and Cardassia seemed stable places with consistent leaders, military and religious figures. That STABLE texture seems to be mostly missing to date.

    In fact, the episode you just described would have made me feel that they were slipping back. Reusing the same plot with the same character(!?!) withing a few months usually indicates creative problems. A question for you. If you can try to put yourself in the mind of a first time viewer (or imagine you were coming to the show as a DVD first time viewer at your current age) would you be inclined to keep watching (or buy!) the 2nd season or would you write it off and move on to something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In return, I apologize if it looks like I haven't been responding to your comments. I have been, but thanks to the semi-confusing layout of Blogger, I've just been making a separate comment instead of replying directly. Hopefully you saw them anyway!

      "A question for you. If you can try to put yourself in the mind of a first time viewer (or imagine you were coming to the show as a DVD first time viewer at your current age) would you be inclined to keep watching (or buy!) the 2nd season or would you write it off and move on to something else?"

      It's a difficult question, since while I try not to let my love of the show influence my reviews, I DO love the show and know it gets better. However, in an attempt to just imagine my reactions to this show if it had been airing weekly, I realized I'd probably feel the same way I did when I tried to watch "Gotham". The first episode was decent enough that I was willing to keep going, but it rapidly descended into bland and/or irritating, until I gave up mid-way through. About the only difference is that "Past Prologue" is actually pretty good, while the second episode of "Gotham" was a train-wreck. I think something similar would have happened here, though I'd probably have thought it was mediocre rather than actively bad.

      Here's hoping they find their feet soon; otherwise, I'm in for a LONG six months.

      Delete